Monday, November 29, 2010

Sore Saturday and time with Grant

Today I needed to "move out" of where I had been pet sitting. I got a walk/run in with the dog, got everything packed and cleaned up, then headed home to unpack just the food. On the day that I leave any sort of "overnight gig" with pets or children, it is a bit hectic for me, but it's usually hard to leave, but happy to get home too.

Have I mentioned Grant before? I had the privilege of being Grant's nanny from the time he was 2.5 months old until he was about 7, with about an 18 month break around the time he was about 2. Durnig that time I also got to take care of his amazing sister, Elizabeth. This was my first nanny job, and they both taught me so much, it was one of the greatest gifts in my life to take care of them. Whenever I think about it, I feel so fortunate!!!! I often thing about Elizabeth on this journey because she was a gymnast until high school, then played softball and as an adult has biked more than I can possibly communicate to you. She was an extraordinary athlete and thinking of the work she did really inspires me. Elizabeth, feel free to comment and tell everyone about your journey on the bike. Grant is an extraordinary athlete too, in many sports, and he is so encouraging to me on this journey too!

Why did I tell you about them..well, November 17th was Grant's 18th birthday, and we were fnally able to get together today to celebrate. So, I ran and got rice and vegetables from Jack in the Box for me, and got In and Out Burger for Grant. The thing that Grant has always loved to do is go to the airport and watch the planes, so that is what we did. We have been going to the airport since Grant was very little. Our usual thing is to go to the top of the parking garage, eat our meal and then play catch with a football, and play yahtzee...of course, we are always watching the planes too. Even though we only had about 2 hours, this is what we did. I don't know that I could have asked for a better way to celebrate with him. Well, that's not completely true, over the years, I made plans for his 18th birthday. Unfortunately, due to this crazy journey that I am on, and the tight finances, those grand plans haven't materialized yet. I know that he says that it doesn't matter, but I do feel sad about it. I love the time that we got to spend together, and I look forward to his high school graduation in May when hopefully his birthday/graduation gifts will be completed.

From there, I headed to a job at a wedding, watching a variety of children of different ages. I payed my dues by standing out in the cold for over an hour waiting for them to decide what to do with me. Then I was brought up to the room where the children would be dropped off, then I read and finished my book. NO children for awhile, and I was feeling a bit guilty. Basically, all of this to say that no activity really at all.

I got home and headed to the gym to do my 1 mile run. OMG, my hip was really sore. I did run for almost a half mile, but had to stop. I rode the bike for about 5 minutes, but then just decided to lift some weights. Not a spectacular day as far as calorie burn, but I did my best.

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment