Friday, November 5, 2010

Body image and Portia De Rossi

Just a quick note before I get to information about Portia De Rossi...

One thing from me about body image. I think that all of us have a part of our body that we don't love. I was just talking to Jon on Sunday about this and my image of myself in high school. I don't recall people making fun of my to my face or making my life difficult. I seemed to have an idea of what my body was supposed to look like. Noone really told me how my body was supposed to look. I had great friends, and I would see them eat junk, not that I never did, but they ate waaay more than me and they had very thin bodies. Or, they had bodies with a different shape than me. I didn't have friends that had my shape, and I didn't grow up in a house with my mom, who has the shame body shape that I have, after I was about 10 years old. My step mom and step sisters didn't have my body shape, so I saw something wrong with it. I look back at high school pictures, and I looked fairly thin. Jon said that he didn't consider me overweight in high school. However, I felt I was overweight ever since 4th grade. I think that it is important to make our children feel safe with whatever their body shape is. Even little comments that we make, however innocent, can stay with a person for life. I even watch what I say when I lift a child up. Saying "oh, you are so heavy, I can't carry you up the stairs" can lead a child to believe they are overweight. All that was meant was that the child was growing and I wasn't strong enough to lift the child. Throwing something in like "wow, you have so many muscles in your body, I'm not strong enough to lift you". Generally they don't really care about being carried anyway, they just want some affection, hugs, kisses or just some quality time snuggling and reading some stories.

Just something I think about often.

PORTIA...
On twitter I saw that Portia De Rossi was going to be on Oprah and Ellen this week, promoting her new book. I recorded both of these on my VCR and watched them today. Why am I brining it up here? Because it is her story, with noone else's words, just hers, sharing from her heart about the challenges that she had with her weight. It is from her point of view, not from a person that thinks they understand what she must have been going through. Her sexual orientation was a factor in some of her challenges, but she believes that even if that wasn't a challenge in her life, she would have suffered from anorexia. I can't wait to read this book. Based on what I have heard and read about the book, it is for anyone who has struggled with their weight or body image. The book is called "Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain" by Portia De Rossi.

You can copy and paste this link to see more about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Unbearable-Lightness-Story-Loss-Gain/dp/1439177783/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288941184&sr=1-1

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment