Monday, January 3, 2011

goals for 2011 and a reminder from Dear Abby

Goal setting is a very important part of obtaining anything that you want in life. It might be a goal to have the dishes done every night before going to bed, and it might be starting your own company. Either way, you have to define what you want so that you can learn how to get there..then, DO THE WORK!

If you are taking a trip, you need a map of how to get there, why wouldn't you need a map to succeed in whatever you want out of life?

Here are my two main goals:
1. To reach my goal weight by June 1, 2011
2. to improve my 5K time by 6 minutes (35 minute completion)
I will post some more things in the coming weeks that I have been writing down, but wanted you to have the main things that I am working towards.

I told you about the fortune cookie from my mom with the GREAT fortune, but she also gave me a copy of Dear Abby's column from January 1, 2011. Here's her advice, and it is really great to keep in mind!

"Today is the day we discard destructive old habits for healthy new ones and with that in mind, I will share Dear Abby's often-requested list of New Year's resolutions-which were adapted by my mother, Pauline Phillips, from the original credo of Al-Anon:

JUST FOR TODAY: I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once.
I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY: I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking.
Just for today, I will refrain from improving anybody by myself.

JUST FOR TODAY: I wll do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I will eath healthfully-if only just for today. And not only that, I will get off the couch an take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block. "

So, just for today: I, Cindy Lou, promise to take this one day at a time and work on each of these items every day to be a happier healthier me!!

Now, didn't Abby's last one fit perfectly for the goal of having a physically healthier life?? sooo cool!!!

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment