Monday, January 24, 2011

more about Steve Prefontaine

I have posted a link below to read more about him, but one incredible thing that I remember about the movie is something that I hear often in my TEAM business also. It always goes some thing like this, "it's not about having talent, it's about having the will and desire to win".

Steve Prefontaine still holds the world record for fastest 3 miles run(5000meters)for a male 19 and under. He ran it in 13:22, that's about how fast I run 1 mile. He always believed that getting out in front first was how he would win, taking the lead early. His coach was Bill Bowerman who founded BLUE RIBBON SPORTS later renamed Nike. Steve Prefontaine tried the first "nike" shoe that Bill created for him. The sole was made on a waffle maker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Prefontaine

I'm not sure why I am telling you all of this. I just know that it really impacted me. His story showed me that the will is more important than the talent. His drive for winning wasn't enough, it was how he won that was the most important to him..going full out all the way through the race, giving his all no matter what.

He was an amazing athlete, it is such a shame that his life was cut short before he could compete in his second olympic games.

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment