Friday, February 25, 2011

YOGA...yes, yoga

So, food for yesterday went great, and activity was very low at both jobs. The weather here is very wet, and there is even a chance of snow in our area in the next couple of days!! So, getting out with the kids just isn’t really possible. By the time I got home, I was really wanting activity!!

Now, remember how I mentioned Hoss’ blog about comfort from yesterday? Well, the comfort I was struggling with today was to do the Yoga dvd’s that I got. I used to work for an amazing lady, Heidi. She was a yoga instructor and I went to one of her classes and she showed me poses at home and I felt competent and safe around her. She has that calming nature about her that makes you feel good about yourself, especially when you are struggling. I’m not sure if she realizes it, but that’s how it was with me. I just feel better about myself around her, it’s hard that I don’t get to see her very often. Anyway, since then, I have done yoga on the Wii, and I did yoga on the cruise with people that were larger, like me, and I felt okay doing that too. Today what would have been comfortable to me was to go on the treadmill and then do weights. There is nothing wrong with either of those, but I knew that I needed to just do the yoga and get comfortable with all the poses and the names of them too, so I could move forward. Every time I have done yoga, the flexibility hasn’t been and issue, I just haven’t felt comfortable in my own skin or confident in the poses. I always felt amazing after doing yoga, and my muscles feel used for sure, but in a great way! In addition, I just checked out 6 DVD’s at the library and purchased 2, I need to use them!! I hadn’t done any yoga since the cruise. I have not been super good about stretching enough, until I got that book, stretching for dummies that I talked about before..those exercises have been great in the morning, and I hope to read more of the book this weekend! But, I got home, got all of my meals prepared for Friday, set my alarm clock for the morning, did my 200 crunches and got my yoga mat out that Jillian gave all of us on the cruise..begin the DVD….

I started with Rodney Yee’s, but in this one it is with another woman, and she was doing the workout that I chose. Not a big deal at all, just not what I expected. It was a great workout of about 20 minutes. I wanted more, but didn’t know which one to pick from. I decided that starting with the basics, since that’s what bugs me the most that I don’t remember or know how to do the poses correctly. Play…Basic Yoga workout-for dummies… OMG!!! So helpful, so detailed and easy to understand, and soooo relaxed with no pressure!! What was cool is that even people who can’t sit on the floor easily could do this because she showed modifications to do on a chair if you have that challenge. She reminded us to just do what we could of the pose and the more that you do it, the more flexible and able you will be. I was able to do all of the poses, but I could tell that I have lost some of my flexibility because I haven’t been stretching as well as I need to—maybe that explains the hip injury more than anything…ugg!! If you have never done yoga, are curious about it have always wanted to try but not in a group setting, I HIGHLY recommend this. It goes through what is called “the daily dozen”. I’m not sure if that is a universal term, but that is what it is called here. If you can get through these, you will probably feel so wonderful. She talks about strengthening the spine so that as we age we don’t hunch over as much, it was an interesting take on it. I did pick up the book too, but think that I will probably stick to the dvd for now since I am best at learning by doing.

I just looked, and if you want a sample of what the DVD is like, you can go to www.youtube.com and search “yoga for dummies” or copy and paste this link: http://healthyfitcare.com/01-basic-yoga-workout-for-dummies-part-1.html . That is part 1, but you can all of the other parts by searching for them there too. Personally, I think getting the DVD at the library is easier if you are trying to practice the poses continuously.

I know that for some of you, it’s hard to even imagine ANY yoga pose, but like she said in the DVD, and I’ve heard many times, yoga is for everyone, any level, any size, or any age. I know, stop thinking it: “but I’m different, I have an injury”, or “I’m old and am not flexible at all” or “that balancing thing, I CAN’T do that”…you want me to keep going? Okay, how about, “but I have never done it before and people will think I’m crazy for trying it” or “I’m too old, seriously, does it even matter?” and last(though I could totally go on) “isn’t yoga for those hippee crazy people?” umm….DUH, no, it’s for you and it doesn’t matter what your “reason”, you are able to do it and I KNOW you can take that step and give it a try! STOP ROLLING YOUR EYES, yes, I’m talking to you..hello, stop avoiding it and give it a try. Heck, just try one pose a day if you want..just try it, you won’t believe how good you will be feeling!!

Okay, I’ll leave you alone, but I really do want you to try it and I would love to hear how it goes for you!

Hope to hear from you soon on this!

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment