Monday, February 14, 2011

successful saturday, and some reminders

What a great way to start the morning! I took a walk with a friend today. She told me that she was struggling and wanted to walk because she is starting a fitness program and moving in the direction of a healthier lifestyle. I was sooo excited to see her and join her in her journey. She was concerned about maybe walking slower than I would usually go. To me, it wasn't about how fast we were going, it was about doing something better for our health and our future! I used an app on my phone, "map my run" to see the distance and time for our walk. We did 1.41 miles, and it took about 33 minutes. She was a bit tired after the walk, but when I told her that we walked 1.41 miles, I noticed a smile on her face, it was so cool to me! We talked about how it didn't matter if it was record time, but more about if we hadn't planned to get together and walk, she (and possibly I) would have just been sitting around. I was soo happy to have started my day out that way, and now, we have decided that we will do that every Saturday. Obviously, things can come up, but for now, it's going to be a regular thing :). I am so excited!!

Well, with the morning starting off like that, I had some great energy and took the dog for a walk where I was pet sitting. I hung out with the pets for awhile, then, went to my apartment and did some things around there. After getting cleaned up, I went back to feed the pets and take the dog for another walk. All of this walking has been fabulous! Of course, better results with hard core work out at the gym, but these walks this week have been so great to just start moving more again!!

At night I attended a leadership seminar. I did a fair amount a walking around, but the majority was just sitting. In listening to these great TEAM leaders, I heard some things that reminded me about my journey. IT made me really start to think about some things a little more, it was great! Here are a couple of things I picked up:

--How are you avoiding YOUR reality?
***some examples were things like watching TV, doing tons of social activities just to avoid the thing that will get you to your goal. ***

Something I thought about was that when my life seems to lack excitement, or if I am bored, instead of working out, I want to watch a DVD or something, and really, that is just avoiding things in my life. Is my life that bad?? not really, but tv, movies, social activities they take us out of whatever is dragging us down. That doesn't mean we need to stop doing them, it just means that, for me, I need to examine WHY I am trying to avoid things in my life. Then, I can see where my goals are so that I can make my actions line up with my goals.

A great quote from tonight: "the problem is the opportunity"-Dan Hawkins

Now isn't that so true!!!

--Get with a mentor. Someone who has been on your journey and has the results that you want. Then they can help you course correct so you can get back on course.

***for me, it seems to be Allison that is helping me most with this. I check in with her everyday. There are so many other people who give me the help and feedback that I need, it's so awesome. THANKS EVERYONE!!

--check and set your goals daily, weekly, monthly.
***if you don't have a clear vision of where you are going, how are you going to get there? so, set your goals, come up with a game plan, and check on your progress daily. Each day, then week, see if you met those goals and the same monthly. Just remember that if you don't meet your weekly goals, you need to get reexamine your game plan so that you can correct what needs correcting so that you can meet your monthly goals!

good luck to you all, thanks for reading, and keep moving!

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

2 comments:

  1. Good advice throughout! Wishing you the best in your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and the comment, Susan! I hope that whatever journey you are on, it goes well! would love to learn more about it!!

    Lou

    ReplyDelete