Wednesday, February 9, 2011

choosing me first

It is Wednesday morning, and I have a minute to let you know about my Tuesday/early morning Wednesday. Now, you might read this and think "come on, get to the point"..trust me after the chaos, I will. Thanks for reading!!

Tuesday started fairly slow. When this new schedule started, it was not easy to get up at 5:30, but I was excited about the new schedule and so I was getting out of bed easier. Now, not quite as easy. But, I got up a little later, I packed my food and headed to 8am-1pm job. Not very active EVER at this job, butI hope that in time it will be a little bit more active. I then went to my 1:15-6:15 job, which is always more active, and I love it..even if I am folding laundry or changing the sheets. Usually it is running around with the kids. Today, it was just me and Joe for most of the afternoon, and he wanted to go to the skateboard park. Whoo hoo!! While he was skateboarding, I walked 5.14K in 52min. Not record breaking, but I was in jeans, and the wrong shoes. My sister Catie says that it qualifies as a race walking pace..seemed slow to me.

Okay, so I got off of work, and realized that I was one meal short!! I soooo wanted to just go get a gluten free pizza at Amici's, but I didn't. I went to whole foods and got steamed veggies and rosemary potatoes and ate some nuts. yummy dinner!! From there, I headed to my meeting and then went home. I had to watch the twins at midnight. I was tired and wanted to sleep, but when I tried, I just started obsessing about sleeping through my alarm and being late, so I couldn't sleep. I did a few things around my apartment..laundry, straightening up, packed up clothes and food for Wednesday and then it was basically time to leave for an overnight with the twins (12am-6:30am). I hoped that they would sleep really well so that I could sleep too. They slept wonerfully!!! Unfortunately, I did not...too worried I wouldn't wake up if I heard them. That hasn't happened before, usually I can sleep. So, left work, went to jamba juice for breakfast(yes, it was planned). I was able to take about a 30 min power nap in my car. Now I am at work and the little girl is still asleep. After taking her to school at 1, I will go home and take a nap before evening job. When I get home, I have to do the dishes and prepare some food for tomorrow, but while the food is in the oven, I look forward to trying out the new lifecycle! Hopefully, my body will not be too exhausted!!

So, why did I tell you all of this?? I want to show you that I totally understand a busy schedule, putting everyone else first. I get that you have kids and have to run them around for their activities, prepare food for them and yourself, get the household chores done, go to a job, oh, and of course...find time to work out!! I get that you are tired, I am soo tired too. I am finding myself asking, "okay, so what do I need to do to change that?" Okay, don't just say "duh, go to bed earlier and get some sleep!!" I think this is a VERY commong problem. We often use these things as excuses not to exercise, right? At my TEAM meeting last night, the speaker, Jim Jones, reminded us to look at what is most important. Obviously your family, friends, finances, and faith might top your list. For me, those things are really important. However, like they say when you take an airplane, "put your oxygen mask on yourself, then assist others." As I'm sure you know, that's because you are no good to anyone if you aren't there. Focusing on my fitness will help me be there for my friends and family. It might take awhile, paying the price and not spending as much time as I would like to with my friends and family, but when I hit these fitness goals, I will be healthier and have more energy and time to spend with them.

Well, when I left the twins this morning, she asked if I could come back next Tuesday night. I told her that I would let her know. Then, I started ooking at my schedule and realized that if I want to change my life and have better overall health, then I need to choose me first. That means getting the sleep that I need, the foods I need and the activity that I need. I get those things if I am working around the clock. So, I emailed them and told them no.

What is most important to you in your life? I know that you love your kids, husband, parents..whoever more than anything!! I also know that they all want you to be around a long time. But they all know when you are not yourself, you know, when you're "off" a bit because you haven't been taking care of yourself and you are running yourself ragged and you even have a bit shorter temper at times. Your kids sense this more than anyone usually. They all want you to be the best mom, dad, aunt, uncle, brother, sister, grandma, grandpa or friend that you can be, and you can't be that if you are not willing to chose yourself first.

So, with all of that said, this is talking to me as much as it is talking to you. I am putting myself first. Finances are important, but I need to come up with a different solution than working these crazy long overnight hours.

Good luck, I'd love to hear how you are putting yourself first today!!

Learning and growing into a healthier me!!
~Cindy LOu

No comments:

Post a Comment