Monday, May 2, 2011

weigh in and short cuts

Well, after 4 weeks with my amazing "trainer by phone", Sabra Bodzioney, I have moved 2.4 pounds closer to my goal, for a total of 14.2 in 4 weeks! It is not the 4 pounds that I originally planned for, but I do feel good about it. It makes me more motivated to do more this week and stick to my guns about putting my sleep at the top of my list.

I just passed a major marker in my journey! I am below the weight that I was on the cruise, back in October. So, yes, after the cruise, I ganed back a little weight, as you know, but it's now gone and I am not looking back. I am at 187.4, just 42.4 to go!

Here's the dilema...I have a job this morning and this evening, but I have a 4 hour break in between, so I planned to work out then. Driving to work, got a call from evening boss. "He's sick, do you work this morning?" Knowing that I just told her I am off at 1pm, can't easily say, "no, I can't come earlier." So, I will be working out tonight, instead. Thus, pushing bedtime back...again! However, I do believe that I can still get my 8 hours, if I cut down on the socializing on the phone tonight!

I am looking at the positive aspects of this day...moving closer to financial goals by working more hours, one solid workout in the evening, bed time by 10pm, and socializing in the car on the way home, or on the phone while walking at night.

SHORT CUTS
Well, on Saturday, I had a fairly open day and was able to sleep in. Unfortunately, my body thinks that 5 hours of sleep is enough these days! So, I just moved forward with what I needed to do that day. One of the things was running 2 errands and one was cleaning my apartment because 2 girls that I used to nanny would be coming to stay the night with me. So, to get some activity in, I walked to the errands and put in almost 8 miles. When i was walking, I was headed to the bank, and saw this path through the shrubs that were planted, that would get me to my destination a little bit faster. And that's when I started thinking about short cuts. I passed the path, and walked my regular route, thus adding distance to my walk, and actually giving myself a sense of accomplishment that short cuts really aren't the answer. Here are a couple of things that kept going through my mind...

My wonderful friend and encourager, Hoss Parvizian gave a good example about short cuts in his blog : https://newhosscity.wordpress.com/...

Today’s visit began with the nurse weighing me in. I jumped on the scale and she had it on my weight of last visit, 335. She looked puzzled and slide the weight measurement tool down. She suspiciously looked at the chart again. Again she slid the weight on top of the scale again. “Wow, you’ve lost a lot of weight!” she exclaimed. “Is there anything the matter?”

“Nope. Just trying to get healthier” I replied.

“Did you do the surgery?” she asked. C’mon lady, you have my entire medical history in your hands.

“Nope. Just old-fashioned eating right and exercise.” I replied. She looked at me doubtfully and told me the doctor would be in with me in a moment.

I love this!! Here's why...It shows me how society is so programmed to take the easy way out of a situation. It shows me that people think "short cuts" are the answer over working hard. You know what I mean, working through the hard difficult struggles, you know, the ones that ACTUALLY make us stronger in the long run. I have heard, "I'm just gonna have the bi-pass surgery" by people I know, and if that is the route they choose to take, that's totally okay, it's their life. Hoss, like me, is trying to learn a life skill to make his life a long and happy one. Sure, a "quick fix" sounds good, but really, does it work? With bi-pass surgery, don't you have to change your eating habits and exercise anyway? I haven't researched it, never even considered it for my self, so understanding why people do it is more my focus.

I know so many people in younger generations, due to the job I have and the amazing friends I have gained over the past year especially. It's interesting, I sound like my parents, I'm sure, but they all just "want it now"...that is their mentality. Seriously, I want things now too, but I can't learn any lessons about me or life in general without the waiting. I'm sure my parents thought that about my generation too, but it is interesting that now, I am seeing the value in just living and experiencing each day.

Changing your habits overnight isn't possible, it takes time and dedication to a journey and a goal. However, each day, you can create a new habit, here are a couple of examples:

-Read(or listen to an audio book) for 15 minutes a day, in a book that motivates you to accomplish your goal.
-walk for 30 minutes each day
-take a multi vitamin every morning
-talk to someone that is a great cheerleader for you and helps you realize your potential every morning, even if it is just a quick text back and forth.
-turn your tv on just 1 time a week

..you get the picture.

To sum it up...Make small changes everyday There is only 1 real short cut that will work, here it is: Find a coach, mentor, leader to learn from. Someone who has the results that you want. Then, do everything they tell you to do to achieve your goal. If you try a different short cut, you may end up just re-doing the work you have already done, now how fun is that???

Change is good, embrace it, honor the process and live the life you are entitled to have!

Learning and growing into a healthier me!
~Cindy Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment